Experienced Sole Trader Accountants

Based in London

At Lesstax 4 U, our sole trader accountants have extensive experience in all areas of accounting. Serving clients in Woolwich, London, and throughout the UK, we can help you complete your self-assessment tax return and provide general advice. We also provide support and advice for those in partnerships or the Construction Industry Scheme. Get in touch with our accountants today to request more information.

Sole Trader Registration

Being a sole trader merely means that there is no distinction between the owner and the business because you run your own business as an individual and are classified as self-employed. You need to set up as a sole trader and file a tax return if any of the following apply:

Sole Trader Registration

  • You Earned More than £1,000 from Self-Employment within the Tax Year (between 6th April and 5th April the Following Year)

  • You Want to Make Voluntary Class 2 National Insurance Payments to Help You Qualify for Benefits

To set up as a sole trader, you need to tell HMRC on or before 5th October following the end of the tax year that you are self-employed, and you have to pay tax through Self-Assessment.

For example, If you started trading during the 2022 to 2023 tax year, you must register on or before 5 October 2023. You’ll need to file a tax return every year by simply registering for Self-Assessment.

Your Responsibilities

As a sole trader, you can keep all your business’s profits after you’ve paid the appropriate taxes. You’re personally responsible for in decision-making. You must also follow certain rules for running and naming your business. Additionally, you are required to:

Your Responsibilities

  • Keep Records of Your Business’s Sales and Expenses

  • Send a Self-Assessment Tax Return Every Year

  • Pay Income Tax on Your Profits and Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance

VAT Registration

You must register for VAT if your turnover is over £85,000. You can register voluntarily if it suits your business, e.g., if you sell to other VAT-registered businesses and want to reclaim the VAT.

CIS Returns

If you’re working in the construction industry as a contractor or subcontractor, you can register for the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) with HMRC. You must file your tax return on paper on or before 31 October or 31 January for online submission to avoid a late-filing penalty.


In a partnership, you and your partner (or partners) personally share responsibility for your business. This includes:


  • Any Losses Your Business Makes

  • Bills for Things You Buy for Your Business, Like Stock or Equipment

  • Partners Share the Business’s Profits and Each Partner Pays Tax on Their Share.

When you set up a business partnership, you need to nominate a partner who will be responsible for managing the partnership’s tax returns and keeping business records. A partner does not have to be an actual person. For example, a limited company counts as a ‘legal person’ and can also be a partner.

There are different rules for limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships (LLPs). Each partner must register with HMRC separately and a nominated partner must register the partnership files the partnership tax return.

Providing Sole Trader Services

Our sole trader accountants cover all your needs, from registration to self-assessment tax returns.

Get Started